Pages

Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Organization: Next to God Emperorness?

After a very tragic accident in which I knocked off a terminator’s arm while carrying him cupped to my chest (yes my boob knocked off his arm, moving on quickly now), I decided the next order of business is get proper storage for the Knights. I was directed around to different foam cases available online or at the local game shop, but I wasn’t overly impressed with the units to get them myself. Besides, I got a Hobby Lobby gift card feeding my addiction to crafting that needed exploitation. So a hop and a skip over to my version of an opium den, here’s what I produced:

And that red tote will be the perfect accent to my Knight’s red trim!


The inventory sits at a box to carry my paints, two tackle boxes with adjustable storage departments, and a bag large enough to carry the army and accessories. Those totaled near $50, but I also bought paint canisters and a plethora of stickers to decorate everything. The only thing I’m worried about is the plastic sides of the storage bins rubbing up against the Knights, so when I get the compartments sorted, I will probably invest in adhesive craft foam (or those cutesy shaped foam stickers) to apply to the walls as a buffer. The paint I make is rather durable, so I’m more concerned with structural integrity than the paint job.

So on the topic of paint, I mix my own paints for my miniatures from acrylic and an ancient secret formula. What usually happens is I mix the paint on a pallet or small dish and get excessive amounts I don’t use up before it dries. I found all these jars in the paint accessories aisle for about $7.  So if I do the math, it costs me $1 for the basic 2oz acrylic paint, $3 for a 32oz canister of super-secret magic ingredients, and the 30 cent jar. By the time I mix and divide the paint, .4oz of paint (the amount in a Citadel jar of paint), it costs me $0.42. I can’t speak too much on quality of my paint vs professional quality, but it’s better than the crap acrylics I started out with. I'll document my next paint making adventure for the sick humor in it.

 I can feel the paint fumes dissolving my lungs already.

My progress with the painting is good, but what of my tactical progress? Well, I have been reviewing online idiot guides to playing and started on the Grey Knights codex. My only problem is I don’t like reading things. Not because I hate reading or think it’s stupid, I just get extremely inspired by written lore…and instead of reading the codex, I start thinking of my own Dark Heresy characters…and then I pull out the sketchbook, and yeeeaaah:

 Thank the Chaos Gods, someone's finally going to kill my psyker.

I haven’t even read past the intro fluff yet. But I shouldn’t be complaining. After anguishing writer's block, I’m going back to my Dark Heresy character’s extensive backstory to add to it, and I’m drawing him again. Gotta take the muses where you find them, even if they’re whiny, heretical, effeminate psykers.

No comments:

Post a Comment